MOSDOH - Pre-Clinical Restorative Dental Faculty (2 positions)
A.T. Still University (ATSU) is a culturally rich environment leading the way in whole-person health education with cutting edge technology and instruction. From its inception in 1892, ATSU has had a long tradition of inclusion. By capitalizing on local, regional, national and global community relationships, ATSU has mastered the concept of access and opportunity for culturally proficient faculty and administrators to explore their career interests and enrich the ATSU community as we reflect the communities we serve.
Established in 2013, ATSU-MOSDOH offers an innovative curriculum with an emphasis on public health, leadership, and practice. Only the second dental school in the state, ATSU-MOSDOH addresses the oral healthcare disparities in Missouri and across the nation. In addition to the issues of oral health and the skills of dentistry, students learn from and are encouraged to become caring, community-minded healthcare providers. Missouri School of Dentistry and Oral Health is seeking applicants for the position of Pre-Clinical Restorative Dental Faculty. This is a full-time faculty position based on the Kirksville, MO, campus at the level of Assistant Professor. The responsibilities of this position will include, but will not necessarily be limited to, the following:
- Deliver didactic content for pre-clinical restorative dentistry coursework including Operative Dentistry and/or Fixed Prosthodontics. Experience teaching CAD/CAM technology and/or Dental Materials is preferred but not required.
- Teach students one-on-one in simulation clinic laboratory projects for a variety of dental disciplines (alongside other professors/instructors).
- Develop and/or revise learning objectives and associated assessments for pre-clinical restorative coursework.
- Deliver simulation clinic content for restorative dentistry coursework, including demonstrations of correct procedural techniques to a large student audience.
- Produce adjunctive educational materials such as demonstration videos or sample laboratory projects for the students to reference.
- Maintain and revise didactic content (lecture materials) as directed.
- In conjunction with the Director of Simulation Clinic and Pre-Clinical Education, maintain and revise laboratory manual content and written examination content.
- In conjunction with the Director of Simulation Clinic and Pre-Clinical Education, help students achieve competence in the pre-clinical setting.
- In conjunction with the Director of Simulation Clinic and Pre-Clinical Education, assess student progress and implement remediation requirements in the Simulation Clinic.
- Identify challenges to the restorative dentistry curriculum and propose appropriate resolutions to the Director, Simulation Clinic.
- Assure translation of pre-clinical content to the MOSDOH clinical setting.
- Serve on MOSDOH Committee(s) as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
To assure pre-clinical instruction in several aspects of restorative dentistry (including operative dentistry and fixed prosthodontics) through delivery of didactic and simulation clinic coursework as well as assessment of student learning.
Skills / Requirements
A DMD/DDS/BDS is required. Post-doctoral certificate preferred. Preference for experience in teaching in a dental school environment. Must be highly skilled in restorative dentistry. Excellent lecture and demonstration skills for a pre-doctoral audience. Ability to assess students' fine motor skills and students' progress in this area.
The applicant must be willing to work with all students, faculty, and staff in a collegial manner. The applicant must have excellent communication skills in both a lecture (large-audience) format and in the more personalized laboratory setting (as when working one-on-one with students). The applicant must be able to tailor their communication skills to different learning styles so that all students can benefit. The applicant must be of a patient and calm temperament so as to encourage student development and student confidence as they progress through the pre-clinical curriculum. The applicant should be personable, with a positive attitude . The applicant should be organized and detail-oriented, and also adaptable and open to new ideas.
Applicants must submit the following: letter of interest, ATSU application, CV, Unofficial Transcripts, three letters of recommendation and the names and contact information for three references.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 1645/1724