SOMA - Chair, Basic Medical Science Education
The Chair of Basic Medical Science Education provides leadership, management and support for the Basic Medical Science Education Department in all its roles and functions including: teaching, scholarship, research activities, service, administration, clinical/professional practice and other functions supporting the department and its contribution to the mission and vision of SOMA.
- Provide leadership to faculty members in the various disciplines of the sciences basic to medicine.
- Serve as an interface and provide two-way communications between basic science faculty and the administrations of SOMA and ATSU.
- Oversee the SOMA basic science faculty on the Mesa campus focusing on assessing, challenging and supporting the faculty contributions to SOMA and their professional development.
- Oversee the hiring and orientation of basic science faculty at the Mesa campus.
- Assure the effective, efficient and timely involvement of the faculty of the Basic Medical Science Education Department in the development and delivery of the curriculum.
- Conduct faculty evaluations at periodic intervals. This includes updating the time and effort form for each basic science faculty at Mesa.
- Mentor basic science faculty in the various areas of their academic responsibilities including curriculum preparation and delivery, scholarly activity and service. Assist departmental faculty in constructing promotion dossiers as appropriate as they are considered for promotion.
- Assure the soundness of academic programs and adequate progress of students through the undergraduate medical program.
- Assure that the curricular material taught by department faculty is up-to-date and will assist students as they prepare for COMLEX levels 1 and 2, and USMLE steps 1 and 2.
- Oversee the faculty of the Basic Medical Science Education Department to assure that they complete their responsibilities with respect to curricular development and delivery, and assessment of students.
- Develop appropriate relationships with local, regional, state and national professional organizations associated with basic medical science education.
- Work with faculty in other departments in SOMA to enhance the development and delivery of effective learning programs.
- Assist the SOMA administration in providing department data necessary for planning, preparing budgets and assuring continued accreditation.
- Work with the Director of Faculty Development to:
- Assure an effective faculty development program and the participation of basic science faculty in the program.
- Create, deliver and continuously improve new faculty orientation, mentoring and master teacher program.
- Assist curriculum improvement through feedback to departmental faculty members.
- Effectively manage all aspects of departmental administration.
- Teach and course direct as needed in the curriculum.
- Ensure that the Basic Medical Science Education department in in compliance with all aspects of ACCOM, state and regional accreditation and that the chair is an integral part of all documentation to meet the accreditation guidelines of each agency.
- Facilitate departmental faculty in their pursuit of research and scholarly activity.
Qualifications: PHD, DO or MD, Broad knowledge and experience in medical education in both the predoctoral and postgraduate setting; Curriculum development knowledge and experience with a willingness to adopt the Clinical Presentation model.